Saturday, January 14, 2012

Partridge soup 2201,

with dough-boys.
There are variances of how I cook partridge soup, or stew, this is the basics that I used yesterday.
Going by the pictures in order: First gut and clean the birds [if your lucky enough to have them given you already plucked]. Separate the heat, gizzard and liver and clean, clean the inside of bird thoroughly under running water.

I then soak the whole or dissected bird in water with about a teaspoon of white vinegar. This is not essential, just he way I do it and I have had no complaints.

I then sauteed the sections in some pork fat and olive oil until brown all over. Remove sections if neccesary and brown the rest.

Add some diced onions, you can add peppers and garlic at this time, but for this one I left those out.

Put all the birds back into pot and add water and or chicken stock or bullion cubes to cover.

Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer and leave for an hour minimum with the lid on.








Make up your dough-boys, bring the pot back up to boiling, add the boys and cover pot immediately and lower heat to simmer. Fran's mom taught me that.
I add the rice at this time as well, about 3/4 to a cup depending on how much liquid is in the pot.


Posted by Picasa


Simmer for half an hour, serve and enjoy.

2 comments:

Shammickite said...

this looks good.... but it seems a lot of work plucking and preparing the partridge.
When I was little we had chickens and my dad would kill them and my mum used to pluck them and clean them out, always seemed like a lot of work but it was worth it when we ate the nice fresh roast chicken for Sunday dinner. Thank goodness i don't have to do that, I don't think I could manage it.

MargaretJ said...

Wow, this looks good!