Saturday, December 24, 2011

The usual joy, giving, reflection, receiving time of year that is Christmas.


But there is always a little niggle in the back of the mind, one of caution or of expectation that some sad event is about to happen.

Invariably something does happen this time of year. Perhaps not effecting one directly but in a small isolated community you are affected more profoundly than if living in a large urban area, Fran being on the crises response team heightens that apprehension.

This year it hit closer to home. Edward Flowers, Carters maternal other great grandfather [atatsiak] suffered a stroke early Wednesday morning, the 21st.

Edward did not recover from the stroke passing away at home early afternoon Thursday the 22nd. Edward was 74.

Guest blogger Fran has this contribution:

Like our grand daughter Aimee, Brian and I feel blessed to have known Edward Flowers-not only know him but shared family with him.

I moved to Nain in 1980, not knowing how Edwards family or my family would be intertwined.

Edward was a walking wealth of Inuit Traditional Knowledge. I’m sure there are a lot of younger Inuit who called him their mentor-I’ve already heard many of them say that.

Edward cared about and was passionate about what Inuit should be concerned with. That our environment can sustain the food we depend on so much. That the land not be spoiled by mining activities.

Edward had intimate connections and respect for how the land, water animals birds depend on each other. I leaned that from him as I got to know him over a numbers of years. And he always had good oh Inuk food to share, and a great sense of humor.

3 comments:

Shammickite said...

Brian and Fran, I'm sending my sympathy to you and the rest of the extended family on the loss of Edward Flowers. It seems that he was a well respected elder, and I know from your words that he will be missed by many in the community.
I am assuming he was also a relative of Ross Flowers who carved my little caribou?

Brian said...

Well thank you and i will, no relation the the Hopedale Flowers though.

Have a merry Christmas.

Shammickite said...

and a Merry Christmas to you and Fran too. I'll be having a Christmas dinner with OlderSon's mother-in-law and family, there will be quite a few of us round the dinner table. And I'm looking after YoungerSon's dog while they are away visiting the other mother-in-law!
Enjoy your Christmas dinner.