Thursday, January 24, 2008

Garboligy and Kraut.


Another group of people who deserve our/my thanks and respect are the outside workers with the Nain Inuit Community Government. Boy have they had it tough since Christmas.
Besides the water main break there is the usual dealing with freeze ups at houses and the usual picking up of the garbage and general maintenance that a northern town of 1300 odd needs. I would not want to be out in that -49 wind chills, even being out all day in -27 will play havoc with the body eventually.

I have a couple of little anecdotes regarding the collectors of our spilth.
I have been meaning to get some pictures of the guys driving around on the garbage Komatik, but it is just too bloody cold for that. Any way yesterday the GS was up at the house, the boys with the hoods pulled up across the road to empty the garbage box, so I grabbed the camera and took this picture. Matthew say’s to me, “old nulliuk is driving the ski doo”.

The other story is; our visitor [X] for the last week was getting ready to leave for home this morning, she noticed the picture on the computer and relayed this little ditty.
Yesterday as X was leaving the temporary office X noticed a guy on a ski doo, X thought to herself “that is a handsome Inuk”. X then noticed two other men on the back of a komatik, X said to self “there is two other handsome Inuit”. It was the guys in the picture, how bout them apples. OK maybe you have to know X to grasp the point, trust me it is funny.

The visitor is involved with the following too. For some time I had a hankering for some sauerkraut and German potatoes. Not sure why as the last time I had kraut I was in my teens. The spuds are easy but no kraut is available in town, so I look up a recipe and made some.

It took 10 days of sitting in the container, so desperate for something different to serve at meal time I added kraut to last night meal.

I cooked up some schnitzel for me, steak for Fran and Vegetarian for X. Did I mention X is a vegetarian, so serving interesting meals over a period of time can be arduous given our local? Along with the meats I roasted some turnip and yams. Steamed the kraut with some spices, made up some potato and onion pan cakes, all served with sour cream.

The kraut was very good I thought, as usual Fran puts up resistance; “I do not like kraut” says she. We says “how do you know, you have not tried it”. Fran says "I did years ago and I don’t like it". “Try it” say’s I. After one fork full Fran says, “this does not taste like what I had before”, plate was cleaned in no time.
Then X cleans up the plate and offers up that “if that meal was served in a restaurant then X would order it”, talk about an ego building meal eh?

3 comments:

Shammickite said...

You are obviously quite the chef! When are you gonna try making the Robbie Burns style Chappit neeps?
And X is right, those guys are really cute!
BTW -8 and sunny here in S Ontario today. I'm puppysitting YoungerSon's bouncy puppy Tessa today while they go skiing, so we'll be going out for lots of walks in the snow.

Old Brooktrout said...

Hey, isn't that one of the exploding skidoos they're on?

Brian said...

Sorry trout, it’s an older model with smaller engine, the exploding ones are all high tech and go barooom when you start them.