Thursday, November 05, 2009


I have been tooling around with the new cameras settings and functions. Lot of stuff to remember and more than two ways to achieve the same function.
I particularly like the scene function on the mode dial, 21 automatic functions for all shooting requirements.
Still lots to go through and become familiar with yet.



I was preparing to take a walk yesterday afternoon when there was this light knock on the door. It was the guy who intends spending the winter in the wild, in his boat, in the ice with his wife. After preliminary niceties he got down to brass tacks. Harold asked me if I would take some photos for him and e mail them back to Germany. I must have had a puzzled look on my face because he quickly offered up the fact that his camera is an SLR, turned out it is quite a good one but useless in this digital instant age we live.

So I said yeah, no problem. First one was of his new ski doo, and sponsors flag, all ready for freeze up at his friends place. I agreed to take some more this morning.
Last week I had an inquiry from Germany's largest power boat magazine for permission to use one of my photos in an article they are doing on the 'Gypsy Life".

Returning to the absurd. I was trying to order an exercise ball [xmas gift] on line. Found a very good one at the right price and right size, 65 cm. Went through the ordering process and then came to shipping charges. Entered in my postal code, kawabunger, $111.00 shipping via Purolator Courier which was almost 3 times the cost of the ball, and I only had one choice of shipper. F you all.
So found another sight, ball was cheaper and shipping only 29 [relatively speaking] bucks.
Also had a call last evening about the price of Becel Margarine at BigLand. Two weeks ago it was selling at 2 bucks and change Same product this week going for 2 bucks more. Part of that rise could be related to damaged goods mark up I have mentioned, not sure what the rest of the 2 bucks would be, profit maybe?

1 comment:

dannytoro1 said...

My gawd, the freight charges are obscene. No wonder few small businesses work out.

Congratulations on your apparent and unexpected Freelance gig! I look forward to one of those big glossy German magazines with your handy work scattered about!

Pity you can not arrange to have a bear stalking them photo! Perhaps you can perform a dramatic double exposure shot-lol.