Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What's

mainly clear on the Environment Canada web site mean?
Oh I see, it means blue stuff intermixed with the usual white blackish stuff.

I inquired of the dryness of my mothers side of the family. They all live in the sunshine state of Queensland and I was worried that some my be negatively affected by the devastating floods there.

The only threat is to one cousin who is holding back some water at the rear of his house with sandbags and and a broom [aunties words], all others are OK but some are stuck far from home due to roads not being passable.

I have been to Toowoomba, though many decades ago I still remember the great beauty of the town. We went to a look out on top of the escarpment, the view was majestic with views of rivers and stream meandering their way through lush forest and farmland all the way to the coast.

Not so now.

Half the house has new ceiling, kitchen and bedrooms next, then the messy part, plaster and sanding.

Have to change allegiances Fran says.

What allegiances? one may ask. Well down at Northern this morning the friendly service representative on the check out said that our 10% dicount has been discontinued, we will only qualify on one day at the end of the month. After further inquiries it was dicovered the the head office had instructed that the senoirs discount will only be given on seniors check days instead of everyday.

From personal experience this is the case at other Northern or Northmart stores owned by the North West Company.

When I asked "when was check day" the answer was "whenever the seniors checks come in". I felt like saying "well my ducky that changes from week to week" but held my own council on that.

We had it good while it lasted, still there are other options, at least for the moment. Maybe revert to one day a month at Northern, but most likely not.

3 comments:

Shammickite said...

I've been watching the flood news too, my cousin operates a Motel in Esk, Queensland... floods through the main street there last Monday, but he escaped the worst of it. Also have friends in Forest Lake, Brisy but they are dry so far.

Old Brooktrout said...

You mean to tell me you've been complaining about fresh produce and other perishables and the high cost of livin and the whole time you were enjoying a whopping 10 per cent discount?

Brian said...

darn toot'n, at least for the last several years.
Mainstream media is asleep in front of the chip section so someone has to do it.