Saturday, September 22, 2007

Utopia revisited.


After that short little rant on reality we return to some pictures of mushrooms.
Sure wish we new which ones were edible.
Fran borrowed a book of mushrooms [Field guide to North American Mushrooms], but we always forget to take it with us. Any way I would rather be sure than sorry and not eat them from pictures and description in a book. Best way to learn in this instant would be for some one knowledgeable to be with you, show you first hand. Alas we are short on knowledgeable people in that field.



7 comments:

Table Mountains said...

i know they gather and eat them in parts of labrador. i see quite a few photos of them posted in a an online forum by labrador residents.

Brian said...

I have been lurking around there Wayne, noticed your reference, see what we come up with, thanks.

Paradise Driver said...

An idea:

Have your school's science department bring in someone who can lecture and demonstrate to the students on this subject. They, in turn, can instruct their elders. Also, their youth means that they will eventually teach their own children and grandchildren. Thus expanding the knowledge pool.

Just my two-cents.

Brian said...

Now that PD sounds like a great idea. Perhaps if any educators read my Blog they might put some thought into that.
There is an up tick in interest in this region by Memorial University types; perhaps their botanical people could do something in conjunction with the Torngat National Park Reserve, would not want tourist eating the wrong stuff now would we?

Anonymous said...

Al lot of our older people in Nain know which are the edible ones. They taught me and now I eat them all the time and when I get a family I will pass this on to them like my family has done for me.

Old Brooktrout said...

"After that short little rant on reality we return to some pictures of mushrooms."

This is a great line!

Brian said...

Well I’m glad you are able to enjoy the fruits of nature Anonymous, great that the knowledge has been passed down.

To OBT, thought you for one would get the connotation.
Your old buddy does the first of 5 part series on the “Labrador Uranium belt” this morning.