Saturday, September 08, 2007

Rainy day musings.

Heavy rains, from memory we have not had anything like this for quite some time.

So we only took in one store this morning, the rain you know. Purchased most of what we wanted, the fresh produce must have come in last evening, what was there was in good shape.

But, there is almost always a but in there? Some one in the store pointed out some snags in plain plastic bags in the freezer. No brand, ingredients, weight, price per Kg, just a white sticker with $11.84 hand written.

$11.84 for four freak’n sausages, small sausages at that. Just for the craic I took them up to the manager and asked if this was correct. “Yes Sir” was the reply, “I checked the price out as it looked a bit dodgy, they are a popular brand, Italian, and it must be the size too”, size my arse.

At the same store last week some people had an issue with out of date cookies. The cookies tasted stale and only had a code on the packet. After calling the phone number displayed on the packet the people were told that the packet had a best before date of some time in 2005.

The cookies were returned to the store and money refunded.

There is more to this cookie story but I want to get more of the facts before going on. I know this type of thing is not an anomaly and confined to one store, I have written on these things before. I have also gone to the NG top people but am still waiting to see if anyone will pick up the cookie cutter.

In the Irish Slang link there is the word Culchie. Can anyone give me a more descriptive meaning of that word? It’s one of my favorites from my time in the Emerald isle.

No comments: