Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Politics and Blogs.

Last evening the phone rang just as I was about to serve up supper. “Bloody call centers again” was my first thought. I picked up the phone any way with the intentions of hanging up as soon as I heard the foreign voice with a spiel about BMO or some such.
This time there was a distinct Newfoundland twang to the ladies voice, so I asked “what’s up”. It was a poll being taken on who I liked for the Provincial election, who can resist that right.
So I did the pole, very short, who I liked as the potential leader of the province, who I fancied as best for Torngat Mountains, that sort of stuff. This is where it got weird; there was no mention of the Labrador Party or their Candidate Jimmy Tuttauk in our ridding. I mentioned this to the lady, she responded by saying that there was no Labrador Party Candidate as yet. I did not argue, matter of fact there is no NDP candidate but they were in the questionnaire.
Any way I got my licks in, I suspect the way the questions were put that it was a PC poll, hope my answers don’t end up on the editing room floor.

It gets weirder in the rest of Labrador.
Heard this morning that the Liberal candidate in Lake Melville district is asking people who supported the Labrador Party last time to vote strategically and vote for him this time. What’s that about? Vote strategically to put the party back in who all but ignored Labrador for previous 12 years just to defeat the party who has all but ignored Labrador for these past 4 years. Talk about personal expediency and self serving ness.

The people of Labrador have an opportunity to put their principals where there mouths are in this election. It surly can’t do much collective harm to vote for the Labrador Party just to show there is some collective intestinal fortitude left in the world, think outside the box for a change.

Last night on ‘The News Hour’ there was an interview with this guy Andrew Keen, have not and wont read his book, I did read some of this review/critique that makes some sense.
Couple of things that did resonate with me last night, Keen said that Anonymity on the Internet is killing civil discourse and contributing to anti social behavior.
Bottom line, if you have something to say put your name to it.

No comments: