Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Post weekend round up.

Sunny but windy today, not a very nice long weekend with rain, sleet, drizzle, winds.

It was way worse for this couple who were very lucky, what’s up with the pick up person I wonder?

Then there were two hunters who had a problem with their speed boat, ended up on an Island and managed to get message out on Sat phone to say they were safe but no description of local of the Island.

What’s up with the black hole in the satellite foot print in the north I wonder?

Is it the same as the black hole [that is back] effecting the satellite television service supplied by ExpressVU? Are our representatives on the case? Do they know about the issue? Does anyone give a rat’s arse?
Any way the two hunters are safe too, seems the coast guard auxiliary picked them up this morning. Way to go coast guard.

The mv Astron is unable to get to the dock in Natuashish due to winds for 3 days now, hope the beer does not get knocked around too much. Clearer picture update: I should have written beer for Nain, I'm a regular user.
Election update: Roughly a third of eligible voters in Nain had cast ballots by lunch time today, I have noticed the Liberal pick up vehicles going steady, PC on the go to but not so much, then maybe they have others I'm not familiar with.

5 comments:

Paradise Driver said...

The satellite "black hole" is common in the Fall & Spring. The Sun passes over the geostationary points and since it is a more powerful radio source than the sats, the ground stations can't get the sat signal. Usually clears up after a couple of hours. and only last about a week.

Brian said...

Good Intel PD, alas while exacerbating our problem, it goes deeper than that.

Some years back Telesat sent up a satellite that gave the northern regions a fairly strong signal with ExVu television. Not long after it went on the fritz and the signal had to be diverted through an older satellite. The odd # transponder signal was very weak, any inclement weather you lost signal.
After a long time dealing with ExVu without success I went to Telesat and discovered this satellite problem. I was involved with others across the north in monitoring Telesat technicians as they tweaked the signal strength.
Signal was OK over all transponders for awhile, then the problem started again this time on the even # transponders.
To date I have not worried anybody, but I know of it being monitored, I understand there is a new satellite supposed to come on stream but know not when.

The Star Choice service has not had this problem.

I do not have a Sat phone but it is common knowledge that the phones drop signals on a regular basis. I do not know if this is related to the TV signal problem

The two hunters who were rescued yesterday had a Sat phone, it could not get a signal for the first night stranded and into the next morning. When they did managed to get a signal the battery only had 10 minutes life left.

Wejitu said...

Beer for where? Not here! Got to be for Nain. Be cleare next time...though that's not really your forte is it?

Brian said...

To we'jitu

I don’t need any lessons in clearness from you blokes who hide behind anonymity

I will add that I have never written any negatives about Natuashish or any other community other than the one I live in, OK St. John’s maybe.

This is not because I am scared shitless as the politicians and bureaucrats are, it’s because of common sense, respect for others and the fact I do not know enough of the issues in other communities.

Brian said...

Opps, that should read I AM NOT SCARED SHITLESS.