Wednesday, February 21, 2007

One area’s misfortune-

was my savoir.

Being only one for dinner I was in a funk as to what to have, it’s not like one can duck into the local greasy spoon for a quick bite. As fortune would have it good old radio came to the rescue [in a round about way].
All day there were weather warnings and closure and postponement announcements for the eastern regions of Newfoundland [must be that bad ol Ottawa at them again]. Many of the announcements were for postponements or cancellations of pancake breakfasts or pancake and sausage dinners.
So I hade an epiphany on the way to the freezer; I would have pancakes and sausages, not that it is a regular in this house hold, even for breakfast


So I did up this nice little repast, the crepes/pancakes were a little different, nice light non sweet.
I whipped up 1 egg with about ¾ cup beer with dash of water. Added 1 cup 12 grain flour with pinch of baking powder. Left it in fridge for several hours.
I had visions of crepes of the quality available in Quebec City, did not reach that height but they ended up more good than bad.
When the snags were cooked I heated up the crepe pan, added a little butter, barely covered bottom of pan with the pancake mixture, cooked couple minutes and turned for couple more minutes.
Poured maple syrup over, nice Coopers bitter on the side.
The east coast did get hit hard, worst storm this year. It seems from here the city of St.John’s is just not designed and equipped for, and financially up for, dealing with the intensity of storms they are getting of late.

No comments: