Saturday, February 24, 2007

Canceled…Brought to you by the weather.

One of the annual hockey tournaments here had to be postponed this weekend. Two of the teams could not get in [weather] and the five local teams neglected to practice skating on water.
While the rink is enclosed in a building it is a natural ice rink. So when it gets up to temperatures like we have had, slush puppies. Hay-that’s a good name for a team eh?
Way things are going maybe a priority is a rink with man made ice. It is in the works I believe, money and human frailties are playing a roll in its slow development.
Some other tournaments have had to be put off in other communities, the details escape me.

I have just heard some planes are on the way or due to head this way. Its still light precipitation but there is breaks in the clouds.

I have a little confession to make, very embarrassing too. On Thursday I was coming back from the stores, as I approached the house I decided, without much deep thought, to do a couple of circles of the house with the Polaris. As soon as I got a couple of feet in at the side of house I knew it was a big mistake, but I gunned her any way. It’s what is called locally as Dumbuked.

Blamm, came to a big holt a little further in in Maujak [deep snow]. Wet deep snow it was. Had a bloody great wall in front of me and a smaller one behind me.
Before my back trouble this would have been no big deal, alas not being able to lift with any force now it is a big deal if I was to get it out myself.
So I set about shoveling around and behind the machine, then I did lift a couple of time, felt the bad joints on the spin protest, so gave it up for the day.
Next morning I go out, dig more at rear, lift the machine with the jack [using the old noggin now] shovel snow under the track and reversed as far as it would go. Did this three times to get a run up.
Then I donned the snow shoes and tramped the snow down in front, made a trail up the hill until it leveled out.
After all this work the Polaris came out of there like a lizard up a gum tree.

Had an emotional roller coaster ride watching the golf last evening. Nick O’Hearn of Australia was playing a third round match in the World Match Play Championship against Tiger Woods. We always cheer for anybody but the Americans, being an Oz just makes it more personal.
So O’Hearn goes 4 up after 7 holes, the bloody commentators and the crowd are stunned. Woods does the expected come back; the commentators are peeing in their jeans with glee. Woods gets to even. They go to extra holes, Woods misses an almost gimmy on the first extra hole, O’Hearn slams a par put in from medium distance on the next to win. O’Hearn had beaten Woods in this tournament before, do you think the commentators would give him any credit for being able to handle the pressure from the #1, no bloody way.

No comments: