Saturday, February 10, 2007

Fare go indeed.

I think it’s reasonable to say ‘Fare go’ is not in the Canadian airline industry vocabulary.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/fare-go-flights-for-less-than-10/2007/02/09/1170524303937.html

I understand that these cheap fares are a gimmick to attract customers and do harm to competitors. I am also some what reluctant to criticize Air Labrador and Innu Mikun, they do give groups and people in crises situations fare breaks and some times free flights.
But boy, it would be a break for the ordinary Joe and Jane Doe if they could some times offer $500.00 return fares to Goose Bay, leave alone the $10.00 fare mentioned in the article.

The couple hundred plus bucks saving could put you up in a hotel for couple nights.

2 comments:

Dogbait said...

Flew to Sydney from Avalon last year for $79. Jetstar and Virgin Blue have made travel around Oz very affordable.

I see you still peruse the SMH and keep in touch.

Brian said...

Yep, I like to keep up with what is going on round the world as best I can. I find that SMH gives a slightly different view on world issues than American media. Not that I depend just on MSM.
On air fares, one of the down sides in living where we do is the cost of getting out to a hub to get to where you want to go.
If we want to travel anywhere outside Atlantic Canada it costs [full fare] around 2 grand just to get to point of departure i.e. St.John’s Newfoundland or Halifax Nova Scotia.
Hence not many of the proletariat get beyond Goose Bay, unless for medical reasons. That has its up sides and down sides.
It also puts a burden on the development of tourism [in flow], and other business ventures I dare say.