Saturday, October 15, 2011

Calling all vegetarians in Nain!

Not exactly breaking down the door are they?

Friday I like to take it easy in the kitchen, usually look for something fast or even prepared from the stores.

Not a lot on offer unfortunately, and what is does not look that inviting, it is almost the end of the shipping season and shelves are depleting and no new pr different frozen product in yet.

I had decided on maybe Swedish meat balls with a home made tomatoes sauce. I Drop by Northern to pick up the meat balls, lo n behold there are some white asparagus there, alongside a large leek.

Can’t pass up the white asparagus, never seen it here before.

So what to do with them? Not sure realy, so I just dice up some leeks, gently stir fry, add chopped white and green asparagus, some chicken stock, some lemon, seasoning. Thicken a little, add mushrooms.

Serve on fusilli, add some parmigarno.

Thing is I forgot to heat up the meat balls. Fran not a happy camper, I think there was a compliment on the white asparagus as Fran quipped “I like these, they don’t have any taste”.
Meaning, that they do not have a lot of flavor, but hold there crispness during cooking. Nice and crunchy like a water chestnut.



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Me, I likes the asparagus, any 'ol colour for me. Had cream of asparagus soup (Campbells!) for late lunch today after some gardening. Had not had it in ages, but I quite like it.