Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Not that I don’t like the stuff but to date I have not had a hankering for fish n brew’s or brewis.

Others seem to have a hankering for it though going by the urgent calls sent out for hard tack. Since the Purity factory lock out hardtack has been almost impossible to buy in most locations.

In that light this recipe posted by an anonymous poster on OKS web site could come in handy. Try it and let me know how it turns out.

Of course you could Google hardtack recipe but I have saved you the problem.



Hardtack - makes 4 sheets
Preheat oven to 400 F

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1/4 cup molassas (could substitute honey)
1/2 Tablespoon salt

Mix all ingredients well. Divide into 4 equal balls. Roll each ball as thin as possible on a floured surface using a floured rolling pin. Place sheet onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake in a 400 F oven for about 10 minutes or until edges brown. Turn gently and continue cooking until edges turn up and center is stiff, about 10 minutes. Cool on cooking rack. After cooling break into smaller pieces and store in airtight container. Cooking times will vary depending on type and color of cooking sheet and number of sheets in oven.

I will add if the product is not hard or dry enough to allow further drying on a rack or dehydrator until very dry to prevent spoiling and to have your homemade hard tack last for future meals.

It is 2.2 degrees going on 4 am. Last year at the same time same day it was around -14.
Just say'n.

Update: The fog lifted a little bit there for awhile but down again now.

I do not know much at all about Qaanaaq except that the Americans have an air force presence nearby.

But listener to this audio on CBC overnight some of the guys comments ring true for the Inuit here, even though the Inuit of Labrador are further along with assimilation.

2 comments:

Ratmq said...

Hey Brian, Hello from Vancouver!
Thanks again for the blog, makes me feel as though Canada is just a wee bit smaller. I always enjoy the food updates as I enjoy cooking myself. (Although that doesn't mean others enjoy my cooking) Hard tack is a pretty rare item in these parts, and I was wondering what it would be served with or how one might best enjoy. I look forward to trying this out. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all in your part of the country!
Cheers,
Randy, Ratmq

Brian said...

Well, all the ingredients are from this coast guess you could substitute any white flesh fish like hake, turbot even shark.

Many folks use fresh or frozen cod these days, much cheaper and many prefer it to salt fish.

I never do the drawn butter, the salt port, hardtack and onion has enough flavors going.

Plus I would not soak the home made hardtack over night, just a few hours before cooking.

Best of the season to you all too.