Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Nice partly sunny morn and I am stuck in the kitchen for a bit.

Big batch of multi grain bread to make, second stage of a sourdough rye and Fran says “could you make some chocolate chip cookies for me to take to senior’s bingo”.

Fran always knows the catch word to use, in this case senior’s bingo. Besides letting Fran in the kitchen is like letting loose a mini Igor, stuff all over the place, not good when I am in there too.

So I just finished three dozen cookies now for the bread.

Oh and there is yet another study being done; socio-economic effects on coastal Labrador as a result of possible future offshore oil and gas exploration. Just what we need at the moment?

This one is being done by private enterprise, the only upside I see s that it will get baseline facts before the fact, unlike the Voisey’s bay project that did not do any baseline studies before the fact.

3 comments:

Gale said...

Here is a cookie recipe a student gave me after bringing a doz. cookies that got wolfed down by everyone immediately:

1c. butter
1c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. of vanilla
2c. flour
2c. of ghirardelli white choc chips
1/2c. of chopped of dried cherries
1/2c. of dried blueberries
1/2c. of dried raspberries
sometimes dried cranberries too

pinch of salt/soda--if you want

Whip the batter up a lot with mixer

Bake at 350 for 8-9 mins. When the cookies are just set and turning a bit brown on the edges, there are done (they may still look gooey in the middle). If you bake until completely set, you will get a firm, crisp cookie.

I also put the dough in the frig for about 1/2 hour before baking. This seems to keep the cookies from spreading too thin and helps to give a thick, soft cookie.

I also use this as a base for my milk/mac cookies. Just substitute milk ghirardelli chips and include a cup of chopped macadamia nuts (sometimes I throw in dried cranberries too).

This will give those senior's at bingo something yummy.

Brian said...

So the big cookie test kitchen begins.
I will have to substitute Hersheys for ghirardelli, something else for the raspberries, cherries we no got either but the blue and cranberries are OK.

Pamela Williams said...

Hey bro,
these sound pretty good. Now I can add chocolate chips (white/milk/dark) to the list of things we can send in your food parcels!
I hope to make my plum pudding ice cream again this year. Will suit our weather more than yours! I use macadamias in that recipe too, plus glace fruits I have in the cupboard. Adding a little rose water and vanilla adds a nice sweet touch.