Thursday, October 01, 2009

We have become partial to fresh asparagus of late, mainly because Northern is getting it in regularly and it is usually reasonably fresh.

Surprisingly, I had to be in Northern Canada before I got to taste fresh asparagus. Having grown up [some debate that] in a land of abundant fresh vegetables and fruits I never did get to try it.

In my pre teens we got to go on a couple of holidays into the country, I remember seeing hundreds and hundreds of acres of asparagus growing on farms near Cowra. One trip my father stopped the car, got out, jumped the fence of a farm and dug up a couple of spears, we had never seen the real thing, just in cans.
Not that there is anything wrong with caned asparagus, I love it and often have it on toast and some times with grilled cheese on top, a great start to the day. The fact is I have it less frequently as, surprisingly; the fresh asparagus is cheaper here than the caned or bottled.

In this picture the asparagus is not the highlight, that role goes to the slow cooked braised beef finished off with a beer roux. Boy it was good; the only improvement I can think of is to use caribou next time.




Looks like Wally will be heading for the Klink, ironic that he may be room mates with people he claimed to have helped with the illegally gotten funds.
I am sure Wally did help some people who were in need, but I still have trouble believing that Wally did not benefit, there are many arguments to support this hypothesis but I wont go into them at the moment.
Plus there is the little matter of only pleading guilty to 90 grand’s worth of fraud when the auditor general had a figure of $344, 465.00 that was illegally garnered.

In this whole spending scandal there are still many more questions than there have been answers for.

Yucky ol weather boy, RDF yesterday and into this morning.

How many wabbits in a hat does it take to elect municipal officials in Newfoundland and Labrador? ........................... You cant make this shit up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If I recall correctly was this not done for one of the ICG's in the election back in 2006? There too there were only 2 'wabbits in the hat'.

The Voyage of The WANDERBIRD said...

looks like a good "washdown" waiting to be enjoyed with your meal as well...ahhhhhhh