Saturday, October 24, 2009

A founding member of the Liverpool sub branch of the RSL and the J E VC Memorial Clubs passed away on October 20th 2009 at 2330 hours [0930 Labrador time].

A. E. [Pat] Williams, oldest member of the aforementioned clubs at the time of passing, was interned with full Retuned Services League Honors [demobilized Warrant officer 1] at the Liverpool Cemetery on Friday October 23rd 2009.

My dad was 95 years and 8 days old when he finely succumbed, not without a good battle though, he was in it right to the end I am told.

Known as Ernie to some and Pat to most my dad was a real anomaly in my younger years. A real gentleman with lots of decorum and manners, but like a firecracker with a short fuse when it came to people he thought were in the wrong.

I remember more than the odd time the fuse was lit when young blokes full of piss and vinegar received a quick left right combo after a brief argument with dad. No man was too big, nor position in life deterring.

Dad did calm down in later years, I think the last bloke that hit the deck was a football playing officer of the law, and dad had to pull a few strings with that one.
Little difference of opinion at the side of our house of ‘did dads car wheels come to a full halt at the stop sign up the road’.
I had a ringside seat at the dinning room window; end result was never in doubt and no charges were pending from either side.

Dad worked hard, sometimes at two jobs, to make sure we were comfortable. No luxuries, but a comfortable home and well fed and clothed.
He finished his working life with a good civilian position with the Australian Army, so Mom is well taken care of.

Most of my thoughts the last several days have centered around my younger years, around 5 to late teens, some good times and some hard times, I/we worked hard too creating and maintaining gardens and lawns.
A well rounded life’s education I would think.

7 comments:

Table Mountains said...

my condolences on the lost of your father.


i read the league honors and rightly so.
"No wealth or influence can purchase the badge which may be worn only by those who have served their country."

Shammickite said...

My sympathy to you and your family and of course to your mum on this sad occasion. 95 years and 8 days is a splendid age. My own dad was 95 and 3 months when he passed away. But the sad part about living to such a grand old age is that most of your friends and family of the same generation have passed away before you.
He sounds like a great man... a "character" indeed.

Brian said...

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts folks.
Thinking back on those early years; one never new what adventure awaited us when we took family outings. To arrive home without some sort of incident was unusual.

dannytoro1 said...

My. 95 years old. Think of the things that past before his eyes. Sounds like a man of impeccable sincerity and determination. My condolences Brian. I hope you can find solace in the memories you both shared. Those are something no one can take from you.

Pamela Williams said...

Hey Brian my big 'bro,
what a great eulogy to Dad - well said.

I remember the Sunday drives too - they continued through to my era, long after you left home. I saw a lot Sydney and environs back in the day.

Dad was a man of contrast and an anolamy as you say. A good host and generous to others.

Pat loved his sports, especially golf and lawn bowls back when he could play. In later life he followed all the sports on his much loved TV sitting ensconced in his recliner.

He and Mum provided well for all of us. Family holidays by the beach were a big feature and we all were in involved in sport of some kind.

I am very proud of the send-off and tributes given at his funeral service by his RSL comrades. They did him proud.

Vale Dad.

Ps: here are the details of the RSL Welfare & Benevolent Institution.

Services Supporting our Veterans, Serving Members, their Widows
and Dependants

RSL Welfare & Benevolent Institution
ANZAC House
245 Castlereagh Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9264 8188
Facsimile: (02) 9264 8466
Email: wbi@rslnsw.org.au

Old Brooktrout said...

Heartfelt condolences on the loss of your dad. It sound like "he lived a life and then some." -Pete

Brian said...

Thanks OBT; he was a hard one, kept him going a long time.