Saturday, October 17, 2009



It was bread making day at the hacienda yesterday. It was also sea food day. Nothing to do with any religious beliefs, it just happened that we had some local smoked char, local scallops and some cod tongues, origin unknown; non the less they were bloody good.




For hors doeuvres [or as my pappy is want to say horses doovers] I thought we would have some bagels with cream cheese and the smoked char. One store did not have any bagels and the other had some but I was not sure of there freshness, so I hurriedly made my own, we were all glad I did.

6 comments:

dannytoro1 said...

Oh my! Fresh Scallops! Haven't had those in a while. BTW, has our favorite Gastronomic adventurist of Nain tried Welck yet? I'm curious how those cook, or what they are like.

Shammickite said...

mmmmm hame made bread, bet that made the whole house smell good.

Brian said...

Many years ago DFO tried to get people interested in a whelck ‘pilot project’ fishery, never did get any takers. So no, I have never tasted them.
Rigolet did have a fishery but I do not know if it is still going.

Anonymous said...

A lot of people eat whelks in Nain. I even had some yesterday. You boil them and then take them out of the shell and then you fry them in pork and onions. We always gets them.

Brian said...

To Anonymous,
I am not sure if you are being critical or informing. Non the less I was referencing the lack of any commercial fishery, and thanks for the info on how you cook them.

dannytoro1 said...

I asked some folks at Cartwright, and they still do the Whelk thing at their plant.