Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The windy weather has slowed down marine shipping the last several days. The Astron has been held up in Lewisport for; the Northern ranger was late leaving Goose Bay and is now crawling its way up the coast.
I heard that there were 11 meter seas in places on the coast, a good reason to be anchored in some bay. Then again the Astron seems to have trouble dealing with 1 meter seas.

I hope people in Nain are not looking to do some early Christmas baking; the selection of ingredients in the two main stores is, diplomatically speaking, bloody lousy.

No nuts to speak of, very poor selection of raisins and dried fruits except for dates in Northern, only one type of cooking chocolate. You’re OK for white marshmallows in BigLand and for coconut in Northern.
So it looks like dates and marshmallows in a coconut crust of some type.

In general the empty spaces on the shelves are increasing, especially BigLand.

I have a correction to above post: They do have some nuts; they are in a rack at the far end of the isle that contains the baking goods, but not in the baking goods section.

Little bags of Planters nuts. Two types of walnuts and whole and sliced almonds. 75 grams of walnut pieces and chopped for $4.89, the almonds are over 5 bucks.
I also purchased some chocolate chipits, 300 grams for $4.89 which is cheaper than BigLand by about 3o cents.

I should mention that Northern is in the middle of a three week promotion and customer appreciation events. Specials on different days, draws for prizes with any purchase and some draws you have to send x amount to enter.

2 comments:

dannytoro1 said...

I'm going to shop those items out of morbid curiously on my next shopping run. I seem to recall Walnuts were quite expensive here in the south too. I'm thinking chocolate chips were close to $2.90 at the grocery store, and a small 200 gram bag was $1.75 at family dollar. Both Hershey's brand. The big trend here is "Dollar" stores adding grocery sections. They have good deals, but selections are mixed. Here in our nearest town, we have Family Dollar, General Dollar and Fred's. Some do special things for drawing power. Like Fred's brand coffee. It's really good, and much cheaper. A pound freeze dried being $1.50-3 cheaper then regular brands. These days I make my list and shop the dollar stores first, then hit the grocers for the rest. I try to make those pennies scream. I do not have a lot of them!-lol

P.S. What do you think of Grits?-lol

Anonymous said...

The word is The Bond will be on its way to Nain this week,also Natashiush