Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Olympus digital 50/50 zoom camera is starting to go on the fritz. Some months ago the zoom function was not showing up in the eye piece viewer but did in the LCD screen. As I use the eye piece for 80% of picture taking this caused some problems, like having the subject only half in the frame or some times not in the frame at all. So I have had to revert to using the LCD screen for all shots.
This is a bother as I have to have my glasses on for one thing, another bother is bright days it is hard to see the image even with my glasses.

Then a couple weeks ago the locking mechanism for the battery compartment would not lock properly. Turned out one of the plastic ridges that ensure that the thing locks securely has broken off. The only way I can lock the darn thing so I can still take pictures is to put a rubber band around the end of the camera.
It makes it awkward for picture taking especially doing anything quickly. The rubber band interferes with the on/off function and the zoom function.

Meantime I salvaged the trusty Olympus Om2 out of retirement for ‘just in case’. It still works after the battery sitting for some years, and after some getting used to the weight and the metal feel it soon felt good, especially when using the 85 to 210 zoom lens. The down side is getting the film developed; I have become so used to instant images that I can not see me not having to look at a new camera, like a DSL maybe………hint.

Truth is I have been doing a lot of ‘looking’, I always come back to either the Olympus Evolt-520 of 620 but leaning heavily on the 520 price being the contributing factor.
A lot of other brands and models look attractive but once I buy a brand and it seems to be OK I tend to stick to them.

Mean time I took some shots around the waters edge yesterday, it was overcast so the fall colors in the distance are not as prominent as real life.







I think at times we all feel a little like the graffiti written on the stern. But then it goes away and life is good, relatively speaking.

5 comments:

Table Mountains said...

i know what you mean by sticking to the same brand. i have stuck with kodak digitals since my first in 1999.
my recent one the kodak Z980 was far cheaper at $369 then the kodak DC 289 that cost me over $1400 back then.

i am in the process of determining how many shots i can get between recharges and so far i have 372 photos and a few small video's without the batteries going dead. like you i never use the EVF but prefer the viewfinder so i suspect this helps extend the battery life.

Brian said...

Amazing how prices have come down. My 5 meg cost me just less than you paid back then.
Now you can get a 12 meg for under $800, and I am baulking at that price.

mealyman said...

When it comes to camera brands its much like the women in my life I've not been faithful to one.

I've purchased Samsung, Kodak, Fuji, Canon and Sony digital cams over the years. Brand loyalty is fine but in my opinion you limit yourself in doing so. In the end I settled on a Sony its lens is second to none.

ps I settled on a woman as well

dannytoro1 said...

Holy smokes! $800 for a 12mpeg camera? I paid $150 US for my 12mpeg cam with 30X zoom, and it's a handcam with video.

Brian said...

That would be 12 megs in a DSLR camera. If you can get one of those for 200 please let me know Pathfinder.