Friday, September 18, 2009



For some strange reason this photograph [taken yesterday] reminds me of a little anecdote that I may have mentioned before, none the less.

A couple of years ago Fran was in Ottawa and was invited over to a friends place for dinner. Fran mentioned to the friends that she would like to buy some wine glasses as a Christmas gift for me.

No problem says the hosts; “we will help you find some before you leave Ottawa, the newest thing in wine glasses is stem-less”.

Later on in the evening after much eating and libations the female hosts said to the male hosts; let’s not forget that we have to help Fran look for those wine-less stem-glasses.

So these roof-less houses have been sitting like this for a couple of weeks. Some sort of problem getting the roof trusses in apparently. Not only is the food supply chain broken but apparently so is the construction supply chain.
Most store operators have been complaining that the marine shipping operators have been concentrating on construction supplies to the detriment of all others who have to use the service. There are [reportedly] two ship loads of general cargo sitting around waiting to be brought up the coast. It is the same old same old only that it is getting worse every year.

It only got up to like 14 yesterday with a nice breeze. None the less the black flies were at their murderous best, drive you to distraction those little buggers.

The Ranger docked at 3; our food order was on board and off loaded by about 4.30. We had it all but put away by 7. Most was in order excepting one large boo boo by some one at the Co OP.

I think in most of the developed world when you say you want BUTTER you get the stuff that is made out of cow’s milk.
Not so in Newfoundland & Labrador. When you ask for BUTTER here you [usually] get MARGARINE. Now I know this and have had many discussions about the anomaly.

Any way when we were in the Co Op doing up our order there was clearly lots of Co Op brand BUTTER in there freezers.
So we order 2 cases of Co Op BUTTER….Guess what arrives with or order?.... Yep… 2 cases of Co Op MARGARINE.

We do not use MARGARINE, I grew up with butter and many people here, including Fran, have become accustomed to the ‘different’ taste of butter and prefer it.

I guess I could say “if I wanted MARGARINE I would have asked for MARGARINE”. All will be worked out in the wash one would hope.


Butter update:

The issue of the wrong BUTTER being sent has been settled amicably.

I called the Co Op, and for awhile it was looking like I was churning away and the butter might go sour.
But after pointing out my position in a stern but friendly way the Co Op man realized that it is not good policy to have unhappy customers.
It worked out so no one is losing and the MARGARINE found a nice home locally, all arranged by the man at the Co Op.

I have to wait a couple of weeks for my BUTTER, but that’s what we get for living on the Labrador Coast as the PR people from Canada Post are want to say, but that is another story.

When all was settled we did have a protracted discussion as to the local ‘proper word’ to use when ordering BUTTER and MARGARINE. For me I am more confused than ever.

BUTTER is MARGARINE and if you want BUTTER you should ask for real BUTTER, unless your are in Nain where you ask for creamery BUTTER, but then at the Co Op to avoid confusion you should ask for Co Op gold BUTTER.
I wonder what would happen if there is a Co Op gold MARGARINE.

Me myself and I!

No comments: