Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Yesterday was a really beautiful day indeed. Spent some time getting furnace oil in the morning, checking on telephone connections which meant a stint at digging snow from a gate and freezing my hands on a really well frozen combination lock. I had to get a blow torch to it in the end, did the job.

In the afternoon we went for a walk, crunchy snow, sun shinning, -20 with -28 wind chill, perfect.

I remember the first time I took a walk in that sort of weather. It was in December and I was in Goose Bay on my way on my second visit to Nain. I had a few days to kill in GB and stayed with friends of my sister. One morning it looked so nice and sunny out so I decided to take a walk. I only made it a couple hundred yards up the road before my lungs started to hurt, turned around right quick.






I digress; so we walked down towards the strip then out onto the harbor ice, came across some food sharing and Nains equivalent of the bubble in St. John’s.
Actually we are all used to our bubble, and it is only a little bubble that attracts gulls and ravens; it’s just that it had a particularly strong odor yesterday.

2 comments:

Shammickite said...

So they are finally going to do something about the sewer outfall in St Johns harbour! I'v watched many seabirds enjoying the tasty food products that are available around the "bubble!"
So you have one in Nain too?

Shammickite said...

BTW yesterdays dinner looks pretty good. And it's always better on the second day, right?