Tuesday, January 27, 2009


Bloody wind has been blowing like the blazes, into the third day now, no let up until maybe tomorrow. Temperatures are constant in the -24 range with chills constant from -40 to -44.

Did another take out type meal last night, though this time the only home made was the rice, came out better than usual, even Fran gave a good review. So for that we will have partridge soup tonight, with dough boys.
Hope Wally does not drool on his computer too much, don’t want him getting electrocuted.
The partridge is a gift from the daughter, she got it Saturday, the first she ever shot, we will enjoy it immensely.

Reminds me of my first partridge. Fresh from Oz, up some brooks in fairly cold conditions with couple of people. The partridge was pointed out to me, it was sitting in some willows, by a companion.

Got it first shot, feeling very happy with myself, go forward to retrieve, straight down up to my waist in snow and up to my knees in freezing water. F---g hell says I, or words to that affect.

Companions pissing themselves laughing. “Why didn’t you tell me that the brook was there” I says.

“OH, we thought you new that the brook was hung over with snow”.

“Yeah right, how the bloody hell would I know, I spent all of my life on beaches for christ sake”

Any way we had a quick ride back to camp, lit a fire and partly dried out the boots, liners and socks. Wrapped my feet in plastic bags before putting the still damp stuff back on for the trip home.

To this day one of the companions still calls me brooker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm getting depressed with the stories of 80c swings in temperature between us. Think I'll comment on your culinary delights in future.

Looks good.