Friday, January 09, 2009

Weather is cooling down somewhat, supposed to get down into -20’s next several days.

The warm spell sure made it hard on travelers into the country; many snow mobiles broken down after hard slogs through slushy conditions and some running out of gas because of the extra work load. Sort of a catch 22, save money on heating your house and blow the savings on extra gas and parts for the snow mobile. For most here it is a no brainier about which is the priority.

Outside Hopedale there are many open water spots I here, it makes getting to some favorite hunting and camping places difficult, hopefully this cooling will help freeze over the trouble spots.

In an earlier post I mentioned a water line leak. Turns out it is a sewer line blockage.
The NICG issued a health warning on radio asking children to not play in the water running across Sandbanks Road. Thinking this unusual I made inquiries.

So a couple council workers have been at this hole all week, they are digging down stream from the blockage. Quite a bit of frost still to go by the looks of it.















Down in Southern Labrador/Straights people are up in arms [when aren’t they] about the fuel price freeze.
From what I can gather I think maybe they have a point. It is hard to keep up with the pros and cons and he said she said, but as this radio interview indicates, you have retailers buying fuel from a frozen zone, trucking into a non frozen zone and selling it for prices way lower than whence the fuels came from.
To add to the absurdity, the consumers in the frozen zone then travel the 80 odd clicks down to unfrozen zone and buy a whack of fuel at the lower cost and bring it back into the frozen zone from whence the fuel originated.

Let’s see if and how that one is explained.

Up here the fuel freeze is more cut and dry, no fuel in or out until the ice moves out. That is not to say that the PUB pricing does not need looking into, it does have lots to explain as I have mentioned before.


I would be remiss if I did not mention that some fresh vegetables arrived in town yesterday. 15 days between shipments, not bad considering the holidays and the weather we have been having.
Northern continues to push the sale of apples in their store. Nothing wrong with apples but it looks strange with shelves full of various types of apples and nothing else. Sure there are the staples of root vegetables and cabbage but the purpose of the food subsidies, I thought, was to provide a variety of healthy fresh foods.

6 comments:

Shammickite said...

We're expecting cold temps too, but not quite down to -20s but almost.
Yesterday I helped peel, cook and mash 140lb of potatoes, and 24 large turnips... it's the annual Robbie Burns Night dinner tonight. I'll try to post some pics on the blog.

Anonymous said...

Southern folks/northern folks...someone from Cartwright & south goes to the hospital in St.John's for 1 week...$1,200.00 out of pocket...LIA member goes to hospital...FREE...A difference you notice sometimes if it's someone you know who is on a fixed income.

Brian said...

That’s a goodly amount of spuds n toynep, hope you had a goodly amount of garlic in the spuds.
I had a wee dram in yours and RB’s honor.

Brian said...

To Anonymous;

I am not sure what point you are making in your comments so I decided to approve it to give you a chance to clarify.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes Labradorians in the south should/can be excused for griping about the high gas/fuel prices....especially if their roots in Labrador runs just as deep as any LIA member.Just pointing that out.Thanks.

Brian said...

Thanks for pointing that out anonymous.
Just some points, I am not LIA hence it would cost me about a thousand bucks more than your reference if had to avail of medical services in St. John’s. I also did not criticize any one for speaking out; I added that I thought there was a point to be made regarding the gas situation down there.
Though to be fair my wording could have been construed as a critique, but in most of my blog writings I criticize people more for not speaking out enough on important issues.