Monday, January 19, 2009

Cold weather or not it was out for a walk with the dog yesterday afternoon, a short walk to be sure.
Walked into the wind on the way out, going was good, amazing how quick the cold and all the snowmobile traffic packs down any fresh now. There is an interesting aside to the walk that I shall keep to myself for now.

On our return to the house there was a war of the sky’s going on. A raven with a large piece of white food in its beak was being challenged by two other ravens.

This is a common occurrence, but this one was rather intense and went on for quite some time. A lot of other ravens in the area seemed to ignore the three; this leaves me to speculate that the two attackers were the resident pair.

The attached bird zoomed and soured between the trees, did climbs and drops and flips reminiscent of Tom Cruise in Top Gun, all the while the two attachĂ©’s were right on his tail.

They worked there way east, then north were one of the attackers broke off leaving just the one pursuer. The two headed over the house and then west out of site, quite the display.

All of Labrador is under a deep freeze again this morning with Nain at -23 about the warmest spot.

I’d be a bit of a prevaricator if I did not admit to not handling these intense cold wind chills like I used to. Last night Fran mentioned the intensity of the cold.
[Actually I remembered later what exactly it was Fran said. She mentioned that in past winters I always wore shorts around the house, this year all long pants all the time].
I replied that it must be that we are getting older; Fran replied that she thought other winters were warmer.

3 comments:

Shammickite said...

She's right.... it's definitely colder this winter. And more snow too, especially in my driveway. Where's global warming when you need it????

Anonymous said...

It would be an interesting exercise for us to both swap places for a bit and see how we fared. I think badly in my case but it's been a mild summer here so far so you'd probably be able to get around the house in shorts.

Brian said...

Would be interesting indeed, no rubber necks to get your dander up about.
Few years back I tried out one of those house swap sites, had couple of nibbles from NY/NJ way. One lost interest when they discovered they could not drive their Jeep all the way to Nain. Other was just a neophyte in the geography department and the cost of getting here does not go over well with most.