Saturday, January 17, 2009

Well that storm was not the worst we have ever had, but as time goes by any and all winter wind storms raise my antsyness.
Only the school was closed here but other communities were hit harder, in Makkovik everything was shut down.
No planes have moved on the coast since Tuesday, it is supposed to be clear today but the winds are still up so who knows if any will move today.

The temperatures are up today, -14 with -27 chills are like a heat wave relatively speaking.

So today I get to go out and start the big clean up, slow and easy is the catch word. Getting into the CBC site will be the biggest pain in the arse, have a couple of things to fix in there, think I will go over the fence instead of wrestling with the frozen locks, my fingers still smart from the last go around with them.

A follow up from yesterdays post; CKOK did an interview with Terry Lyall [who is going to the Obama inauguration], a news brief is on there web site.

We are having trouble with some web sites loading since yesterday; I think it is the storm affecting the micro wave system.
Some sites load as usual, some are slow and some just don’t load, many regional based sites are not loading very well this morning, except the CBC and CKOK.
My sympatico e mail is not receiving mails but I can send, other people are having similar problems.
Take it all in stride.

6 comments:

Shammickite said...

Why are you going into the CBC site, are you snow clearing or something far more technical?

Brian said...

I monitor the CBC transmission site here. The site contains one building, two large and one small satellite dish, one TV tower and one AM transmitter antenna for CBC.
Site also has three buildings containing space physics equipment for two US universities that I also monitor.
The whole lot is fenced in by barbed wire toped cyclone wire fence.

So when we get winter storms I have to dig out at the gate and then make a track into the buildings, usually with snow shoes.
This morning there were also two technical issues to attend to, but I cheated, I used a ladder to go over the barbed wire top of the fence

Shammickite said...

So you're a very important person in the communications business, especially after a snowstorm.

Table Mountains said...

had the same (internet)problem here earlier in the day but it seems ok now.

Brian said...

I am an alpha dog when it comes to storms and telephone company screw ups, rest of time just a cog in the wheel. But the people down the line say nice things to me to keep my spirits up.

Wayne: Our interruptions started Friday, not the first time during intense storms. Is you internet all cable or does it include any microwave towers?

Table Mountains said...

telephone line so all cable i guess? the fibre optic cable starts here in cape ray.