Monday, November 26, 2007

Now for the bad news.

I finished my chasing up quicker than anticipated, all my stuff has arrived and stored away, 1 box out the shipment of 15 was missing, before I could go down and ask about it the delivery people dropped it off at the house.

Now I have to air freight 3 of the boxes of the second shipment to Goose Bay, where they should have gone in the first place but for reasons unknown they were addressed to Nain. All this unnecessary handling is not recommended for large delicate electronic equipment. The only up side is [and the reason for going to GB in the first place] is the equipment will be checked for workability before being re shipped and installed in the NMC. Not sure that makes a lot of sense to some, but it does to others.

Now to the bad news: So I go down to the dock this morning to see what’s what with my stuff [see above]. The Astron is sitting high in the water, 1 container to come off and all is done, but containers can’t be brought off at certain tide levels as I mentioned yesterday. Seeing as empty containers would have to be loaded I guess it’s no big deal.

Looking over at the lay down area I notice a bunch of people standing around the rear of an open container, something seemed to be amiss judging by the body language of the bystanders.
So I go over, there was a large boat battery and a wooden crate about 5’ x 4’ on the ground. The battery was busted through the middle with liquid all over the ground. The crate contained a large double glazed window, through a gap in the packing you could see both pains of glass were shattered.

The owner of the battery was there, he elaborated as to what happened. They went to open the container doors as people with freight are wont. On releasing the closures on the doors, the doors swung open, and crashing down to the ground went the crated window and the battery. No one hurt luckily, and more by luck than good management.

From this one can speculate as to why this needless breakage occurred. The large heavy narrow [about 8”] crate was loaded at the rear of the container, other general freight was in front of it, and the battery was between the crate and the door of the container.

One could speculate as to the intelligence level of the people who loaded the container that way. After all it was going onto a ship that was heading up the Labrador Sea in November, but the poor barstards are most likely having a hard enough time of it as it is, so we will move on.

Why am I ranting about this common enough incident here? well because the bloody broken window was for the NMC. It was the window that goes between the radio control room and the interview room, a vital bit of stuff.

Seeing that the marine shipping season is closed some smuck is in for a large air freight and replacement bill. Then there is the battery, plus untold other stuff damaged over the season. I would not like to be paying the insurance bill, or maybe we are. After all it is a provincial ferry service run by a third party, one of those dodgy P3 deals.

There is some good news from my perspective. I am not an aboriginal woman being held under the provincial mental health act.
See you after the break as Wolf say’s. Or you could listen in to CBC St. John’s this afternoon, another horrific story is breaking, history repeating, I would write more but I am so angry, it has not subsided since first hearing it early this morning, I have to impose mental restraints on myself.

No comments: