Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The ice man cometh.

The clouds cleared out yesterday, clear and crisp this morning too, temperature down to -18.2 at the house, official -14 down by the water, soon to be ice.

Matthew came up again yesterday, but the lead musher’s were aching and stiff so he had to be content with constant pandering by Grandma, a little by Grandpa, but Grandpa had things to do inside and out of the house.
We did a little ski doo run around 2 pm, I had forgotten how early the sun disappears behind the hills this time of year, our house location gets sun longer than homes just a short distance up the road.

The evening of the 17th will see the annual ‘community greeting’ being held in the school gym. I have been asked to bake up some cookies [like 12 dozen] and 30 baguettes. This event is to welcome all new arrivals into the community, food, entertainment, a welcome gift basket for each new arrival, stuff like that.

I’m not surprised by some events down under. This one was predicable; this one is just part of the continuing story. Cabblog has an interesting phone video of the scenes, some things just never change. One thing that has changed is that with modern techniques they get more coverage.
Notice no outcry to close all the booze outlets in the city. It could be any city in the western world, no outcry. Low n behold if those pesky aboriginals get pissed and act out their frustrations, all hell breaks out.

The Black Tickle story is getting some coverage in MSM and Blogs. I would not have taken much notice but I like Wayne’s small town resident perspective and WJM has the usual political view, I especially like his condemnation of that dip stick Lock, he should stick to taking pictures for money.

I usually don’t take much interest in these stories of the demise of rural towns, not because I am not interested; I am and live in one. It’s because I don’t see the point in my interest until society gets the inevitable wake up call and reverses the trends to globalization, bigger, faster, more is better, lets all grab what we can now attitude.

No comments: