Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Think positive tria.

I positively will not buy frozen pork hocks at $11.99 a Kg. The hocks have been tempting me since my return from GB.
I was almost going to try some when I was told by some one that they had bought some back with them from St.John’s NL, they only paid about $3.00 for what would cost about $10.00 here.
Of course there is the air fare to consider, but when you get free travel and expenses you can afford to fill up bloody great coolers and bring a whack of stuff back.
The hocks are not racing from the freezer either, a good sign they are just way too expensive, or people don’t know what to do with them.

Lobster, frozen mussels, shelled shrimp go like magic.
OK I must be a hypocrite; I paid $6.15 for 0.410 Kg of peeled shrimp this morning, that’s $14.99 a Kg. The shrimp are a good size and will go well with some home made hot sauce on top of lettuce.

Three stores here have fast depleting stock on their shelves. One store in particular has been flying goods in all winter; it gets more and more expensive for goods that should have been shipped in the summer.
The NL government is supposed to be having some people go along the coast soon to give and gather information on the two food subsidy programs. I’m sure many are looking forward to that, if it does happen.

Just a small sample of prices:

2L of vanilla ice cream $11.99.
Spanish onions; $5.98 a Kg. two onions $4.58.
397grams of Purity salt fish; $7.89, but boy was the fish n brew’s some good.

Any way, I have long been of the opinion that the little guy up here is suffering more than necessary because the powers that be, in their lack of wisdome over the years, refused to entertain the idea of Co-0ps in the communities.

Talks between the Union and companies are still on going in GB I hear.

It’s stopped snowing and it’s all mushy but should dry up soon, positive positive positive.

No comments: