Sunday, May 27, 2007

It’s ego stroking time, and other tit bits.

Well maybe just a little pat on me old degenerating back.

I have received some feed back on the blog via e mail that I will throw out; if I receive negative comments I will share those too as long as they are in the sprite of exchange of ideas and information.
As you can see one is from afar and one local, I have withheld the names because I want to.

“Your Blog is good Brian and I am really impressed by the number of hits that you get from China in particular. I have especially enjoyed the pictures of Nain but I must say that I do not recognize too much of it now!”

“ Great Blog Brian, I found the site and couldn't stop reading. Makes me laugh out loud and especially loved the slight divergence pics of the two {ladies} (my favorite). I have added it to my bookmarks. It's such a fresh point of view and the irony is it's my hometown. Great work will check often.”
Note: I have substituted the word {ladies}. BW

I do not delude myself in thinking that I am such a hot blogger, my hits are small compared to some, but they are eclectic and from many parts of the world. My writing skills are not well honed and my intellectual bent is wanting, though I do tend to tone down that aspect. Not that I’m any heavy weight, I just don’t see the need for it that often.

The striking union and the companies are scheduled to get back to the bargaining table on Tuesday. This has mixed reactions. One of the comments in the forums section of the strikers web site states: "the boat is going in on monday, we go back to the table tuesday, come on people, they are winning. i certainly will not stand for this. the offer is a tactic to let the boat in and out without incident. in solidarity we stand".
This has sparked some debate. It has also reminded me of something profound I read not long ago, to wit; “A mining play, is after all, a liar standing over a hole in the ground”. So true, so bloody true.

The mv Umiak 1 is still due in today.


This not quite warm, calm, dry weather has put me in the home made soup mood. I came across a simple white bean recipe in “Delicious”. I had to substitute dry beans for caned, bacon for pancetta [who knows pancetta up here?] and leek for 1 onion, but it turned out quite good, and it’s so simple.
In a medium pot I added two table spoons butter and same of olive oil.
Added 1 chopped opinion and half a leek chopped and 2 bay leaves. Stirred until softened.
To that I added 4 cups chicken stock, 3 cups already soaked and cooked dried white beans.
Brought it to boil, simmered for 10 minutes.
Fried till crisp 8 strips bacon.
Removed the bay leaves, pureed with a hand blender until smooth.
Served with fresh crisp multi grain bread and lots of fresh ground pepper.

1 comment:

Dogbait said...

Brian, I enjoy your posts and the great photos and getting a slant on a very interesting part of the world.

Don't sell yourself short with "the writing skills are not well honed and my intellectual bent is wanting". Fine by me!

Now get your act together and change the new link to my blog! Ta.