Thursday, May 24, 2007

Strike at VBNC heats up.

I have been hearing rumors for about a week of things getting down and dirty between scab labor and the unionized workers at the Voisey’s Bay mine/mill but have not posted anything until confirmed.

Some of the rumors are of special security people harassing VBNC workers with cameras and constant vigilance.
Other rumors were of severe tensions between scabs and other union workers.

Well confirmation is in; tensions are near breaking point, incidents of verbal abuse leading to rock throwing by scabs to one scab blockading 5 VBNC union people in a sea can [container] until their release by another staff person.
The scab has since been removed from the site. None the less the night shift at the mill walked off the job and the next day shift refused to work. CBC reports that the mill is shut down until the issue of scabs, and possibly the strikers issues are dealt with.

The striker’s web site has a lot of information, much of it good intelligence once checked out.

I have permission to point out this post by Sean Lyall, very poignant, I do not agree with his entire hypothesis, but it is a good overview of many people’s feelings.

Sean also got it spot on, confirmed by CKOK Nain, on the severe cut back in employment opportunities in Nain this summer.

Not only Nainimuks will be affected as the Ten Mile Bay quarry employs people from all the North Coast and Lake Melville. The fish plant workers and support mechanisms will fell it hard.

On the meeting of the Northern Strategic Plan people in Nain on Tuesday.

I was not invited despite me being in attendance at the first public consultation.
I was informed yesterday by the WST ministers Special Assistant that he phoned the house lunch time Tuesday to invite me, I was not home and he was dialing the wrong number anyway.
To be fair to the SA, he was the one who got me in to the first hearing.
Ironic that I was one of the few who tried to stick to the true agenda. Ironic that there was only two people from Nain at the Tuesday meeting, one being a reporter/council member.

Have correction to make on the number of Nainimuks at the meeting. My informant screwed me royally, and they were there.
Turns out 4 from community plus one from RCMP detachment, justice was on agenda.

No comments: