Friday, May 25, 2007

TGIF, or not.

My culinary creative juices seem to be rejuvenated since my trip to HV-GB. Or it could be the foody magazine that my little sister ordered for me, it’s from Oz called ‘delicious’.
Any way one dish was for lamb chops with white beans, so I did up my stylized version yesterday.

The lamb is just braised neck chops and other cheaper cuts. I browned meat in fry pan, onions and garlic same way, add to roman pot with chicken stock and some drained tin tomatoes, slow cooked for about 3 hours total.
I soaked the beans overnight, drained. Then covered them in lage pot with water,added pinch baking soda, few bay leaves, cooked for 45 minutes, drained but kept about a cup of the water.

Sautéed about ½ cup diced salt pork till well browned, added the beans and cooked on low till heated, added some of the liquid from the lamb, served with broccoli and baked sweet potatoes, I did it again, not too shabby at all.

In at the VBNC site things seem far from normalized. CBC radio interviewed a union rep on site this morning. Four of the VBNC mill operators have reported to work, another four have not. Still no one sitting at negotiating table.
The mv Umiak is due in to Edwards Cove this Sunday to load concentrate. If I read correctly elsewhere the company delayed the arrival for a week or more. A cynic could speculate that this was an attempt to avoid any potential blockade of the ship like what happed the first strike. The longer we get into May the more chance the ice will be unsafe for travel on.

No comments: