Saturday, May 26, 2007

Paging all old trouts.

Nice and brisk ridding home in the snow and sleet yesterday arvo. Then it rained, cool night but up to + 5 now, time to wax up the old board eh?

I have a message for old brook trout over the water [dont have any contact info old trout].

I have happened on the whereabouts of a this: 'Eskimo Grammer' by the Revd Bill Peacock in 1966/67. It is typed on 255 single sided pages on what looks like cheap paper, in a cardboard folder. In the forward Rev Peacock says that it was compiled by 'a Theodor Bourquin over 20 years and published in German in 1891'. It was translated by Walter Whatley Perrett and 'only four typed copies of this translation were made'. I have no idea whether or not this is one of the copies but it is not done on carbon paper and it would be a brave person who re-typed it all !!

So old trout, is this of any intrinsic value? The bloke who has it said he would ship it to OK if it's wanted. It is over your side at the moment, if any interest let me know asap.

6 comments:

WJM said...

Not to speak for old trout, but YES, this most certainly DOES have intrinsic value, and I would urge you to make backup copies to store in separate locations.

Brian said...

Thanks wjm, the owner of document will find that encouraging.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian, that sounds really interesting. I think there are quite a few copies of Bourquin out and about but I would love to have a copy. If your friend sends me a copy, I could forward one on to OK. Does this gentleman have anything else of Peacock's? I'm writing a lot about Peacock these days. He's key.

My email addy is evanspet@gmail.com If you wouldn't mind shooting me an email, I've got a Hopedale question for Fran. BTW, 2007 is the centennial of print journalism in Nain. "Aglait Ilunainortut" started production in 1907.


(Old Brooktrout. Currently traveling)

WJM said...

I've been looking for a Bourquin for quite some time, without success...

Old Brooktrout said...

WJM, did you try the British Library, I know they have copies of Bourquin. I thought they had this translation--which Peacock mentions in one of his biographies--but maybe not!

WJM said...

Yes, but (A) I'm on the other side of the ocean, and (B) they probably wouldn't sell it to me. ;)