Saturday, September 24, 2011

I don’t know what it is about leeks and I,

or is it me?


Yesterday we were shopping in Northern; I noticed some large leeks but had not been buying them lately so I bypassed them.

Fran is checking stuff out and noticed the leeks and picked one up to look at it.

Fran looks at me and raised her eyes, as Inuit are want, this means- we buy this.

I wander over intending to show Fran how expensive this leek will be, lo and behold the sticker price was $1.99 total price.

Hmm, I picked out two nice ones.

Later at the check out, the check out guy [cog] scans the leeks through along with other purchases while I am putting stuff in my bag. I look up at the computer screen and it says “large fruit tray $14.99” twice. No sign of “leeks $1.99” twice.

I look at cog and say “there is something not right there”. Cog looks at computer screen with puzzled look on face.

I say “we don’t have any large fruit trays”. It dawns on cog and he attempts to correct the situation. Long story short, cog calls over the office assistant [oa] to lend her expertise.  You see there are only two or three on staff who can sort out these commuter balls up anomalies at Northern.

Not having much luck re scanning the oa says that they are over $4.00 each. I say " no there not they are $1.99, it says so right there on the sticker”.

oa has observed me in action before with other staff and takes it all in good stride, as Inuit usually do.

cog is instructed to go see someone in the back of the store. cog returns and says they are four something each. I did not hear the total price but offered up again “no there not they are $1.99 each”.

oa instructs cog to go back and asked again.

oa returns and says something to ao that I didn’t quite get.

oa enters the required info and up comes- Leeks 0.575 @ $1.99 KG Total *pc* $1.14 twice.

In tune with the store policy I could have demanded them for free, but being a reasonable bloke I left it that that.

Moral of the anecdote, buyers beware, especially in the Northern store here. If they can make such a balls up of entering leeks into the computer anything is possible.


2 comments:

ViewPoint2010 said...

My kingdm for a leek, perhaps? :-)

Actually, I've never used them - not even sure I've ever eaten them, but now you've stirred my interest, so who knows what might emerge!!

Today is soup day. Bought the bones yesterday (do you remember when you could get soup bones for free?) and will get the veggies ready later this morning. Then, it's a nice big jug of home made soup to get me through the week. That and some blueberry-chocolate chip muffins I hope to make this morning too.

Kitchen adventures!

Brian said...

In my preteens we lived behind a butcher shop [6 butchers], free bones and free small packages of off cuts for the cat or dog.

Every order was hand cut while you watched.
How things have progressed-eh?