Monday, July 19, 2010

So the sunny dusty days were short lived, all weekend and into today [and beyond by the look of it]. Fog, Light rain, rain, cloudy overcast, good to be home.

We were catching up on chores most of the weekend so the lousy weather was not really an issue, did not go out Saturday except to the store [to check the empty shelves] but managed to take Siutik for a short walk yesterday, first one since our return.

Boy was she antsy; she did not pull on the leash on the outward journey, being the good dog she is. After releasing her she took off like a bolt and did not stop until it was time to leash her in. Then she pulled like the devil, she was still full of vim and vinegar, it was funny watching her run up and down the edge of the water, through reeds and the lot. I tried to coax her into deeper water but no go.

We had a couple of foreign visitors drop in for some coffee and lively conversation both days. One of the visitors [lets call him Bruce] asked me the best way to cook smoked char. I said there are several ways but my favorite was to poach it lightly. Bruce asked how I did that. I said put a little water in a pan, heat it up, place the fish in for a few minutes each side.

Bruce then challenges me on my description of poaching; Bruce says he thought poaching was putting the fish on a rack that was over some boiling water.

No says I, that is steaming, after some to a fro I threw up my arms said “whatever’.

This being a slow day I decided to put the argument to rest by researching ‘poaching’ and ‘steaming’ and writing about it.

Also included in the conversation was the best way to poach eggs. Bruce says it is easier to use those little non stick cups that have water under and a lid over them. I agree it is one way and easier as I have one of the pots.

But it does not give the best results. I discovered an almost fail proof way to poach eggs submerge in a pot of water, after all the non stick pot thing is actually steaming in it?

For those interested; you half fill a medium pot with water and bring it to a low boil. Lower the heat until no bubbles break the surface. Add a little white vinegar and a dash of salt. Circle a spoon around the water in a circular motion, wait until the motion almost stops then drop the eggs one at a time into the water.

Poach to desired doneness and remove carefully with slotted spoon.

I have had good results the last half dozen times, that does not mean next time will be the same now that I have broken the silence.




The last evening meal before leaving Oz I cooked up some pork loin for the others but I had a hankering for meat pie, veggies and tomato sauce.

The Australian tomato sauce is a lot darker and a lot less sweet tasting than Canadian ketchup, takes some getting used to.

The meat pie was purchased by the way.



No comments: