Monday, July 13, 2009

While in Northern on Saturday the manager approached me and asked if I had ever eaten kale. Not that I recall was my reply.
The manager retreated into the storage cooler and returned with a big bunch of what looked like wilted greens; some of the leaves were yellow, not very inviting looking.
After some banter he asked if I wanted to take a bunch and give them a try. With some reluctance I offered to take half a bunch.

So yesterday I gave the Kale a try. Like all good cooks I Goggled ‘cooking Kale’ to get some hints on the prep and cooking methods.

Pictured is the end result accompanied by honey/mustard/ginger roast pork, crispy baked spuds, yam and home made apple sauce.

Method of cooking: I removed the stems and the yellow leaves, chopped the kale in large pieces. Boiled the Kale for several minutes then left it in the pot until just before serving time.
I then sautéed the kale in butter, ginger, red wine vinegar and some mustard for about 4 minutes.

End result. The kale kept its shape and size like cabbage does and unlike spinach and bok choy which goes limp and seems to vanish before your eyes with over cooking.

Taste test. As Fran said, different. Bitter and chewy, I found the bitterness just about right, just taking the edge off the sweetness of the apple sauce and the yams. Still I think I’d rather go with spinach or bok choy even though the cooking process is more delicate.

Fran did not eat more than one mouthful, bad Fran has to do the dishes for a week.

So the weather was not as bad as forecast over the weekend, cloudy with some light rain. It did not keep the folks indoors, lots of people out down the dock and other areas fishing and just enjoying the weekend.

2 comments:

dannytoro1 said...

It does not look too bad. I cook the Kale as I would mustard or collard greens. I do take a knife or sharp potato peeler to the rib on the back though. Makes it a lot easier to chew, and removes a bit of the bitterness. Of course like most southern green recipes,I use onions and bacon or smoked turkey necks to season it. I planted some, but too late. The heat zapped it.

Brian said...

Smoked turkey necks? Sounds interesting. Frozen turkey necks are popular up this way, as are the legs; we make soup out of them.