Friday, March 14, 2008

Heating, Gas and Booze

Having a freeze on petroleum products has its advantages and disadvantages. Or should I say it used to have disadvantages, some time prices did go down, not any more it seems.

Since the freeze came in for our area back November 8th Stove oil has risen 13.91 cents [overall] a liter in other areas of the province.

Regular Unleaded [the only type we get] has risen 7.2 cents.

U.L.S Diesel has risen 17.6 cents a liter.

Any one see a problem there? It used to be that diesel and heating oil was way cheaper and not prone to big increases, it does after all require less processing than all the types of gasoline.

So are we being taken advantage of being in a cold climate, as well and more and more people using diesel motors [not an advantage any more, actually a disadvantage].
Then we have all or most of our goods being trucked into the area especially in winter, so we are really behind the eight ball.

It would seem that governments have given up totally on protecting rights of citizens for the increasing protection of big corporate.

Got hit hard by some bug last night and this morning, aches and fever, my first bugging of the season.

As usual it’s sunny and in the high – teens, don’t feel much like getting out in it though, hope the dog understands.


Seeing as the 17th is only days away I offer up the following. I spent 10 months in Dublin once, had the honor of spending one 17th, not a green beer was in sight back then. I'm sure I ran into the Murphy twins though.

Two men were sitting next to each other at a bar. After a while, one guy looks at the other and says, "I can't help but think,from listening to you, that you're from Ireland " The other guy responds proudly, "Yes, that I am" The first guy says, "So am I. And where about from Ireland might you be?" The other guy answers, "I'm from Dublin , I am." The first guy responds, "Sure and begora, and so am I. And what street didyou live on in Dublin ?" The other guy says, "A lovely little area it was. I lived on McClearyStreet in the old central part of town." The first guy says, "Faith & it's a small world, so did I. So did I. And towhat school would you have been going?" The other guy answers, "Well now, I went to St. Mary's of course." The first guy gets really exc ited and says, "And so did I. Tell me, whatyear did you graduate?" The other guy answers, "Well, now, let's see, I graduated in 1964." The first guy exclaims, "The Good Lord must be smiling down upon us! I canhardly believe our good luck at winding up in the same bar tonight. Can youbelieve it, I graduated from St. Mary's in 1964 my own self." About this time, Vicky walks into the bar, sits down, and orders a beer.Brian, the bartender, walks over to Vicky, shaking his head & mutters, "It'sgoing to be a long night tonight" Vicky asks, "Why do you say that, Brian?" "The Murphy twins are drunk again."

No comments: