Monday, February 11, 2008

Persil flakes.

So we are getting our snow, nice big fluffy flakes not unlike Persil.
I took the photo while over at the gas station this AM. The blue building is the old Hydro Plant, the building on the hill the new plant. They still use the tanks in foreground for fuel storage [not gas stations], they have a ‘day tank’ up the hill, fuel is pumped up when needed.
Whenever we get these snow flakes like today some sort of nostalgia seems to kick in. As a kid my mom always used Persil in the wash, for some reason I was always fascinated by the flakes, they looked so snowy and white and fluffy, little did I know what they had is store for me.
There was labour that went along with the suds fascination, at one time the washing was done in two concrete tubs, and a gas fired copper tub for heating the water. Lots of stirring, hauling out, hand wringing and the like. Then a hand operated ringer was attached between the two concrete tubs, then low n behold one year an agitator wringer washer appeared. My fascination ended about the same time I had my arm drawn through the new fangled wringer, good thing it had a trip mechanism that parted the two rollers just for such stupid incidents.
One of these was getting a fill up when I arrived at the gas station, took $1.50 worth.

No comments: