Sunday, February 10, 2008

Me cogitative mom and other stuff.

I had a legal size envelope in the mail yesterday; it was from my thoughtful kind considerate mom.
On opening said envelope there were a couple of photos, one of me dad on his electric scooter, one magazine ‘Australian heritage’ and 3 copies of the ‘daily telegraph’ beach guide. Like I said thoughtful kind considerate, especially after we had just come from indoors from walking into a -33 chill head wind.

Any way it brought back some memories of days yon. The series covered beaches of the NSW coast from Kingscliff in the north to Aslings beach in the south with one issue dedicated to the Sydney metro area.
I had swum at many of the beaches and had not heard of many others. Most of my beach visits were in the metro area or the south coast, I had also fished at many of the spots, mainly rock, river and offshore. Oh yeah, had an occasional drink in many of the towns.

I can just imagine the uproar from some if something like this was to be implemented in the province. Stuff like “gods given right”, “we been here hundreds of years”, “it’s the Euros over-fishing”, “the feds made me do it”.

Sunny and clear skies predominate again with a high of -17 except for a couple of days last week. Winds continue to make it seem colder, we have not had the strong westerly but what we have been having make it just on the uncomfortable side.
The forecast gives a hint of some snow, alas the same forecast shows high winds, so that is a + and a - that = 0 Then it is not as bad as for Wreckhouse, 140 k, wonder how many big rigs will bite the dust this time.

We had a funny interlude on Friday coming back from a walk. To avoid an icy patch on the normal path I decided to take am alternative rout, it comes up behind houses on the other side of our road. On peaking the hill I noticed a caribou carcass behind one of the houses. Siutik noticed it a couple seconds later, she stops and semi crouches with all senses in high gear. She does not move closer, just a little side to side movement checking things out, the carcass looked like it had been shot awhile ago, it still had the skin, head, antlers intake and was paunched.
I just let the lead stay loose to see what Siutik would do, so she backs up a pace and starts to bark at the dam thing. I gently attempted to get her to move closer, no go, so off we went with Siutik seemingly putting the whole incident out of her mind.
I’m sure it would have been different if she availed a taste of that meat.

5 comments:

Shammickite said...

When you were reading about the sunny Aussie beaches, did you have a yearning to go and visit? I was in NZ for 2 weeks and OZ for a month a couple of years ago, had a wonderful time. the beaches are spectacular.
I've driven through the Wreckhouse area a couple of time, windy both times but nothing like the horrible winds that you are talking about.

Brian said...

Don’t miss things in Oz all that much, de climatized, was back in 01, planning another visit later this year to see the family and get a good beer and fish n chips.

Dogbait said...

We're just about to head along the beach for a 10k run. I'd go nuts without my beach. When I say "my", I'll barely pass a single soul.

Table Mountains said...

good evening brian,
monitoring the police frequency on my scanner and already a few motorists stuck on the wreckhouse stretch.hopefully the rcmp will be able to give them a ride in and some big rig won't collide with the vehicles. i doubt if i'll get out there tomorrow for photos. it'd only a few kilometers from my home here.

Brian said...

Enjoy the run cobber http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/fortunes-of-seaside-towns-under-the-weather/2008/02/10/1202578600928.html