Friday, August 18, 2006

In search of the elusive PWG.

After an unsuccessful search of the town for the allegedly prevalent PWG flag I leave today for Hopedale to continue, where I’m almost positive my search will be just as fruitless.
For those not familiar with the PWG, it is a flag of old, it was flown, I’m told, in Newfoundland many years ago to represent the colony, then self governed Newfoundland, or at least some aspects of same. In modern times the PWG has been taken up by Newfoundland nationalists and disgruntled townies, or so I’m told.
While I’m on my search I will take the chance to visit some of my in-laws, and spend some time with Fran, who took the Northern Ranger down on Wednesday.
For the record, all the flags I did come across, and there are many on cars, boats, flag poles, were maple leafs, tri color Labrador flags, and the most prevalent being the washed out looking one with the Inukshuk on it[they got’a do something about that]. I do remember seeing the flag of NL up poles at times, but only on special events it seems.

At the moment it is planed that we will return on the next run north of the Ranger. I love that trip; alas the Ranger is worse for wear and lack of care.

After a cool several days down in the single digits we are back up into the high teens, even into low twenties at times. The little garden of flowers I planted out front is finely starting to show some color, lot’s of people stopping to have a look. My second crop of lettuce is starting to show promise, and the few tomato plants are slowly stretching up, will bring them inside after September and have fresh tomatoes for Christmas, I hope.

Being a cloudless day yesterday I called the Telesat honcho to see if he could do more tweaking with the weak ExpressVu signals. He called back and we went through all the transponders again. He seemed puzzled by the read outs and has to go over them with other folk at Telesat. We will get together again when I return from Hopedale. I still have not heard from ExpresVu in any follow up from my complaints to CRTC, except the one call from their Toronto office a couple of weeks ago.

No comments: