Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Double Yum Yum


Caught a nice looking recipe for blue berry/nectarine crunch on a cooking show last week. Thought I would try it some time.

As is usual up here one has to improvise, and not wanting to risk life and limb by using my wife’s fresh blue berries, I thawed out some frozen red berries, cut up some nectarines made my usual pie crust for the bottom; mixed rolled oats, flour, sugar, butter, some nuts for the top, and presto, red berry/nectarine cobbler, or kuchen. It was a little on the bitter side, blue berries would have addressed that I would think, but I like desserts to have some bitterness, seems others think it is OK as not much left this morning.

The fish plant should get a lot busier this week. They have had just two boats dragging for scallop all season, late last week three more boats arrived, so barring breakdowns and weather they should be smoke’n. Speaking of which, a good amount of char have been coming in with a good portion of that being smoked.

Weather is unsettled, rain, drizzle, cloudy, could be like that for rest of week.

CBC’s Ann Budgell interviewed Elizabeth Penashue this morning. Elizabeth is worried what the proposed Hydro development on the Lower Grand River [Churchill] will do to the ecology and environment. Ann tried twice to get Elizabeth to address the question of benefits to local business people, and business peoples concern for local employment. Elizabeth would not be side tracked, and only wanted to talk about her concerns for the people and their environment, which I may add are a lot more genuine than any local business persons. I might add Ann was just doing her job.

5 comments:

The Fishician said...

The world could do with a helluva lot more Elizabeth Penashue's

WJM said...

"Lower" is not part of the proper name of the river, and as such, should never be capitalized.

The Fishician said...

Lower/lower...seems a trifle to me.

Brian, here's a bit of local lore I'm working on. Before the organization of the native political societies, Inuit elders at Nutak, Nain, and Hopedale started local chapters of the fisherman's union. They appear to have seen unionization first and foremost as a way of adressing some of their longstanding grievances with the government in St. John's, especially the government stores. Administrators in St. John's found their letters annoying, and lobbied the fisheries union to decertify the union. I couldn't find any witnesses to the events, but I found many letters. Here's a small introductory sample from one of Nain's greats. (site is just getting underway)

The Fishician said...

http://evanspet.googlepages.com/labradorresearch

Brian said...

I’ll cap and LOWER case When I like And where I like faNk you VeRy much mR.lAbradoR


You are correct fishician, Mrs. Penashue and her like would serve us all better than the wankers we have as politicians at the moment.