Sunday, September 05, 2010

We have come a long way in the satellite TV business for sure.

Fran has been going through the filing cabinet and cleaning out, not wanting to feel like a lazy bugger I got to it shredding and checking out old stuff.

Included in the lot was quite a file on correspondence between myself, CRTC and the then cable company based in Goose Bay. One of the owners was a real piece of work, still is but he is a different business now.

I put in a lot of work in to prove to the CRTC that the cable reception in those days was very poor quility mainly due to low quality equipment and shoddy attitude by the company. Unfortunately the CRTC usually supported the business side of the argument, when overwhelming evidence to the contrary is offered up they just ‘put it to file’ for future consideration.

The piece of work tried his usual bluffing and accusatory way without any shred of truth, he got what for from me, and events since those days prove me correct.

Any way I priced the satellite dishes and receivers of the day, below is some scans of the size and cost involved. Needless to say I waited until ExVu and Star Choice came out, for a couple hundred bucks of we had all that we wanted.




Old Earl has puffed himself out before he arrived here, fog, bit of wind and rain is all that is left.


No comments: