Saturday, September 04, 2010

There is a tale to be told about Amaruk, the pup in this mosaic.

Just over two weeks ago I was unexpectedly asked if I would look after her for what I took to be 6 days at most.

It turned out that Amaruks owner had left for a trip to Hopedale, the dog sitter the owner had arranged had not shown up and the interim dog sitter had to leave town for a couple of weeks or so.

So I agreed to go over and feed and water and clean up. Needles to say it was not as straight forward as that.

Amaruks tethering was not ideal resulting in her becoming entangled, I sorted that out after awhile.

On the fourth morning I go over and Amaruks has slipped [or been released] her collar and is nowhere to be found.

Just then the dog catcher happened past and I wave him over. After some explaining of the situation it was revealed that indeed the dog catcher had apprehended the free running Amaruk the evening before.

I asked if I could retrieve her: out of luck. I was informed that the paper work had already been done and I would need to go the council office. Translation; I would have to pay any fees owing.

Down I go the council office [which incidentally was woefully understaffed for one reason or another] and explain my situation to the interim town manager. My situation being that it was not my dog, I was just the looker after blar blar blar and I could not afford the 125 bucks to bail her out.

My little secrete was, the cheque book was in the old back pocket trick.

Bottom line, no one was available to make any decision on releasing Amaruk unless the fees owing were paid.

The decision maker, the mayor, was out of town until the following Thursday, this was Tuesday. I received assurances that Amaruk would not be put down before the mayor returned.

So some anxious days past, me checking twice a day with the council office, then the mayor did not arrive back in town until the Friday adding to my anxiousness.

Second bottom line is; I had an amicable and fruitful talk with the mayor on her return, Amaruk was returned to my custody, this time I tethered her over at the front of our house.

She is quite the pup and with good care and training should turn out to be a great adult dog.

For the first days of our caring Siutik did not pay much attention to her, and then a couple of days before Amaruks owner was due back Siutik started to interact and play a little. That’s when I took these shots below.





2 comments:

Shammickite said...

Your story takes me back to when we had Shebah the Husky, always disappearing at every opportunity, left piles of white fluff in the corner of every room in the house, howled all night, dug up the back yard, killed the neighbour's chickens (which cost us a big fine), chased the neighbour's cat, knocked over small children, and drove me COMPLETELY MAD!
She was a good dog, though.
Occasionally.

dogbait said...

Brianbait?