Wednesday, August 06, 2008

121/2 and counting?

So I am not sure what to call the weather the last few days, 10 and counting does not seem to cover it as we have been fogged in the mornings with it lifting by about noon allowing planes to come in. Then about 8 or 9 PM it comes back in, snaking it’s way through the channels eventually engulfing the town. How about 12 1/2 and counting.

I have been in the company of that Mexican chap Manual Labor the last couple of days. Despite protestations from my back I decided to do some necessary adjustments to the top cupboards in the kitchen.
Over the last couple of years they have slowly “dropped” due to the house moving up in the winter and down in summer. This past winter being particularly bad for frost [remember the water main freeze ups] the house moved more than usual, then on settling this summer [relatively speaking] the cupboards did not recede with the rest. I don’t mind a package of Kellogg’s corn flakes falling on my head but draw the line at a bottle of rum hitting the noggin.

So I had to remove some of the facing and a couple of doors, jack the whole length of the cupboard up and secure braces to ceiling. Secure all the strapping, replace all the stuff I removed, and bingo, almost like new.


I don’t like to criticize my favorite air line, bit a number of people I have mentioned their displeasure at Air Labrador over the past couple of weeks.
We all know the weather has played havoc with scheduling and the like. But when people have reservations on a schedule flight, then site around the airport in Goose Bay for hours each day not being informed of what is actually going on they get a little peeved to say the least.
Planes have flown in short clear weather windows, Innu Mikun had schedule flights arrive, Air Lab had freight only plus one would presume charters to destinations unknown.

I know Air Lab in the past has had combination freight/passenger flights; one has to wonder why not these last several days, up until Monday that is.
It would seem that boxes of submarine sandwiches and copy paper takes precedence over passengers.
A couple of tourists said they will not be back this way again because of the way they were treated by the air line.

No comments: