Monday, July 28, 2008

Size does matter?

I have longed for a Digital SLR for some time. Price has been the major factor for me not having one. Prices are coming down for the cameras, alas the lens’s still knock the total cost up making the decision to buy difficult.

Like most I was hoodwinked in to believing that Mega pixels was the most important factor in buying any digital or DSLR. Not so according to this article in the NYT.
It’s the size of the Sensor that matters.

If I did buy I most likely would go for an Olympus camera, if only for the fact I have used Olympus since the 1980’s and they have served me well. I have an OM2 SLR that I bought in London in 1979, and a digital c-5050 that I bought several years ago.
I do not use the OM2 now at all; I would if there were development options closer to home. I used to send film to Toronto and even Vancouver for development. The c-5050 is great, and if used correctly can produce images good enough to print off up to 8x 10 no trouble.

Another reason I would hesitate in buying a DSLR at the moment is there size. I came across a guy with a Nikon DSLR recently, he had an attached extra battery pack, the unit was huge and needed a dedicated bag to carry it around.

We are socked in with fog this morning. Temperatures are OK but it is the third day in a row for fog and drizzle, no planes, no people moving except by water, I wonder if CBC will do a follow up on the weather if this is still on the go by Thursday, and it does look good for that.

2 comments:

Table Mountains said...

your images on here are pretty darn good.they open for a great view.always nice to tweak them with a software program after the shot.

Brian said...

Thanks Wayne.Unless I'm looking for something spacific, or the image is not so good I usually dont fool around with them.