Friday, July 04, 2008

Fog free at last.

The Astron docked about 7.30, unloading straight away, the tide and mechanical gods all aligned.

Still a lot a cloud but the temperatures are up in the mid teens, very nice morning, and quite when I took these pictures.





I have a little anecdote to relay [beef].
So there is very little choice of potatoes in town all week. One store has only rubbish left and the other store has some but they are tasteless.

So the plan in summer is for non perishable vegetables to come in on the boat, the Northern Ranger usually.

So I go into one store on Thursday and ask if any fresh spuds in yet, actually I gave them two weeks before I asked.
The manager buzzed down to the warehouse, no spuds came in on the boat. That is three trips of the Northern Ranger and no spuds.

I ran into the manager on the road later in the day, he said that 7 bags of spuds were being taken out to the airport and they would come in on the food by mail flight later that evening.

Well the food by mail flight did come in, no spuds on it I found out this AM. So still no spuds with the weekend here.
This is the sort of stuff that is dished out to the coast by Happy Valley Goose Bay businesses all the time, I think I may have mentioned that before.

Another beef: Blue berries in the Northern Store this morning are $4.99 a punnet. Same size punnet at BigLand are selling for $6.99. I’m sure I could find similar anomalies some visa versa.

Now these are shipped in under the food by mail subsidy, maybe both are legitimate prices, maybe not. That is why the powers that be were asked to do an audit of how the food subsidies are working. It has been 12 months since we asked for this audit, nothing done to date to my knowledge.
Further to the potato famine, sorry shortage.
So I walk into said store this afternoon, one of the staff say that their potato's arrived finely.
I go up to the vegetable section and there are loose spuds, clean and various sizes. I ponder about buying any as they have been flown in.
Seeing I was asking for them, and need them, I pick out 10 spuds of a nice size and up to the check out.
The check out said they these are $3.99 a Kg and that will be eight bucks something.
I pondered for about a second and said no thanks I'll take them back. That's OK said the staff member. I'll do that.
Paying [so blatantly] for others incompetence's is hard to swallow, Ill be having rice with that for the next little while, I stocked up on that.

No comments: