Tuesday, June 12, 2007

4 in row boy.

We must be heading into some sort of a modern day record, looking good for four sunny great days in a row, like the good old days boy. Temperatures have been in the mid to low high teens at the house.
Been relatively calm too, ice is just sitting out in harbor going back n forth with the tide.
Supposed to get some drizzle tonight/tomorrow then get up to 24c on Thursday, get the bug juice out!

Friends down in Texas say that there is a shortage of many species of migrating birds this year, awful hot with storms too.
Up here we have an abundance of migrating and resident bird life this year. Beside the resident ravens, gray jays, sparrows and sea gulls we have a good population of robins this year. Some yellow breasted warblers have taken up residence along the burn at the back of the houses, very territorial they are. Also around are juncos, longspurs, chickadees, morning dove and I’m sure others that I have missed.

I rigged up a basic bird feeder and suspended it near the bedroom window. One reason for that was to try get some photo’s of the birds, second was to foil the bloody pesky squirrel. Alas the feeder was too close to the house wall, Carmen [the squirrel] climbed up to the window sill for leverage for the jump to the feeder. I disrupted her attempt, but she hit the feeder anyway, knocked some food out and calmly munched away at it on hitting the ground. Moved the feeder along out of harms way, now it’s too far away to keep an eye on it.

On a more mundane topic. Not surprisingly the Minister for Works Service Transport has yet again canceled his trip to Nain. Lost count of the cancellations, also cancelled was his presence at the Nunatsiavut Assembly meeting in Hopedale.
Not much use him coming up now as the purpose was to bring some news on the short and long term marine shipping issues brought to the department’s attention this past winter.
Belies the minister’s alleged strong commitment to working with and for all of Labrador.

Not heard any news on the striker’s [local 9508] negotiations, guess they are under way In Goose Bay. Speaking of strikes, some interesting stats here.

Upe-r-te-date.

Listen to CKOK radio [along the North Coast and Lake Melville region] from 1 to 3 pm today for the latest developments on the local 9580 situation.

So much sun must be getting to me, went out this morning to discover my bike was missing. OK I did leave it outside [my bad] chained to the front steps, slipped my mind to bring it in last evening. Thought for sure it was stripped or at the bottom of the harbor where lots end up.
Strange thing happened though while doing some shopping at Northern. While at the check out I noticed this short young guy looking at me through the glass of the entrance door. Second sense kicked in telling me something was up. On exiting the store the kid says to me “I know where your bike is”. “Oh really” I says, “how do you know my bike is missing?” Kids says “he saw somebody take it”.
Any way long story short, and with the casual intervention of a passing citizen, he tells me roughly where the bike was, he even went on ahead and helped look for it, glad he did as the area of swamp and willows is quite large. Any way he found it, I thanked him profusely and said I owe him one. He did know who took the bike and now I know.

No comments: