Saturday, April 14, 2007

Sun, nostalga, sausage rolls.

I guess we all get a little nostalgic over things from our past, things like food, drink, candies for instance.
I won’t go into all of them, but one I sometimes hunger over is the old pie and sausage rolls.
Seeing as I can’t drop into the local pie in the sky, or even the super market for a 12 pack I have to resort to making my own, and that’s OK as I enjoy tooling around with food.
For some reason sausage rolls was on my mind, so I came up with this recipe yesterday:
750 grams minced caribou. 500 grams minced pork. Sautéed it to get most of the fat out, added 1 leek, 1 garlic clove and 1 stalk celery finely minced. Took off heat and added some pepper, pinch marjoram, herbs do province, 500 grams fine bread crumbs, 1 egg and mixed it all well. Put it in fridge for several hours.
Made up my favorite easy pastry, Robin Hood flakey pastry mix and cooled it in fridge couple hours.



Took pastry out of fridge a little before making time, rolled it out and formed the sausage rolls [not very neat I know], baked for about 40 minutes, tasted not too bad, a little nostalgic taste came into play, but mainly unique.
Served them up with mashed spuds, peas, sweet potato, and did not forget the tomato sauce. Have some rolls left over for today, be better again.














Another clear sunny day today, about 6 in a row, but one does not count as Thursday we had winds up to 100 KPH.
It’s the last day of the Easter Carnival too, [goes almost as long as the Sydney Easter Show, more nostalgia] ski doo races and such out on the harbor, then a trophy presentation tonight.

No comments: