Monday, April 30, 2007

More from the photo archive.

The pictures are a little faded and not that sharp. My first camera was bought just before I left Oz, a Nikon 110 film job. After my experiences in Labrador I traded it in on arrival in London Eng for an Olympus OM2, I still have it, a great camera, sure wish I had it when on my first trip north. Any way back to the pictures.



I stitched two photos together to give a broad view of the summer action back then.





This lot depicts the harbor and dock area, how planes landed in summer prior to the air strip being completed.
Them days a floating dock was put out from the main dock, the floater used old 45 gallon drums for floatation. Getting to and from the main dock was always a challenge. At low tide it was quite steep [no hand rails then either] and high tide you walked on the sharp end [2”of the 6x2] of the steps. There was more community spirit then too [or it seems like] with people always willing to give others a hand with luggage, supplies, gas, mail etc.
There were times that the dock was late being put out, or it partially sank, or there was a crowd at the dock, this was when speed boats were used to ferry people and goods to and from shore.





















The last picture shows construction of the air strip. It was still on going when I left in October.






Winter landing was done out on the harbor on skis. Fall and spring was a different issue what with freeze up and breakup issues. Trouser lake was used ice permitting. It was a good little 10 minute ski doo ride, or not so good depending on conditions. Again, weather conditions controlled how long planes could not land.

No comments: