Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Yesterday was quite nice weather wise, at least that’s what everybody I came across told me. But really it was, cloudy with light snow off and on all day, temperatures between -17 and -15, no wind.

I had several runs down to the air strip, one a dry run expecting some people, only to have a no show. This time the no shows had the where-with-all [much appreciated] to call from GB airport and explain the delay; they arrived on a freight plane just before dusk.

The other run was to pick up a box via UPS sent by Canadian Tire.
I have gone into the high cost of mailing packages large and small before, this one mentioned above is puzzling, in a nice sort of way. I ordered 3 items [not heavy] from Canadian Tire. All items were from an online flyer and reduced in price, one item quite dramatically.
So when I check out the freight charges are just 17 bucks and change, and get this, via UPS [the brown truck]. So cynical me says, “yeah right, won’t see these items any time soon”.
Lo and behold I get an e mail the other day stating that my order had been processed and given a tracking #. Only thing was it only had one of the items listed as being shipped [Cynicism 1].
Then yesterday the nice lady at Air Labrador calls to say I have a UPS package. [Optimism 1]. Down I goes and picks it up. But, the item listed in the e mail is not in the package, it’s the two other items and no sign of the third. [Confusion 100].
So I wait now to see what happens with the third item, hopefully it will arrive in tact and for only the 17 bucks and change for the two packages.

This just adds to the confusion regarding the whole area of freight in and out of remote places. I heard that the issue was raised at the Combined Councils meeting here last week, both by the new leadership of CCL and the MP for Labrador Todd Russell. I do believe that my research on Canada Post was used in the cause.

I must thank Wil down the Pacific for his kind words and link to here.
See Wil at Paradise Driver, bottom middle of page. I check Wil and Man of Lettuce every day. Both give a great account of the human psychic/+ and -. Both also remind me [their stories, not them] of why I can’t go back to whence I came. The pictures Wil puts up are quite the stuff.

No comments: